British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Showing Neutered Dogs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Shows & Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AllyDally

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Showing Neutered Dogs Reply with quote

I have had my little boy neutered as I am not planning on breeding him.

I am a first time dog owner what kind of dog shows can i enter him into (just for fun),

Also would love to hear peoples thoughts on the limitations of being able to show neutered dogs Evil or Very Mad
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can show him in any show you want. All you need to do is inform the KC that he's been castrated and you'll receiver permission to show.

That said, the breed standards all require male dogs to have 'two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum', so he's at an immediate disadvantage when it comes to the more serious shows (Open and Championship). These types of shows are partly advertisements for breeding animals - it's where bitch owners look for potential stud dogs, for example.

At companion shows it shouldn't affect his chances at all.
AllyDally

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks this is great news. xx
nadiacovadonga31

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the same apply for spade females as I had my girl done because she is deaf in one ear and therefore I would not be breeding from her but i did enjoy the few shows we went to
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes; bitches that have been spayed can be shown once the KC has been informed. Some years ago a spayed bitch (not dalmatian!) went Best in Show at Crufts.
donothing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Spayed Reply with quote

A friend of ours who owns a Border Terrier had a judge who insisted that his bitch pup was a dog, who had not been spayed, lol. No matter how often he corrected the judge that his pup was a bitch the judge insisted it was a dog - lets say he was a tad annoyed by the time he came out of the ring, especally when he won "best of breed" with his pup, and the "Best Opposite Sex" was awarded to a bitch.

A judge once inisted on getting on her hands and knees to feel Phinias to ensure he "was intact", the fact that as he walks it is so clear he is was beyond me, and she had already watched him run round the ring, and once up and down in front of her before doing his "physical" (one testical is black, the other pink so no mistaking he has two).

I also remember reading a critique for a different breed where the judge had questioned why there had been no "KC" letters on the judges table for the dogs they were judging when they felt there should be (lets say some of the dogs they were judging were not well endowed).

I do know someone who shows, occasionally, whose bitches have been spayed and they do well. However they do have to have extra exercise, and watch there weight due to being prone to putting weight on. I did toy with the idea of getting Bailey spayed but worry as she is prone to showing every extra ounce now, lol, bless her.

Why not let the KC know and enter a local show or two and take it from there - Dalmatians are natural show offs and love the ring, the day out, and the attention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Shows & Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: